Ullapool Bookshop – Day 6 of the Advent
Welcome to Ullapool Bookshop, who can be found at Quay Street, Ullapool
The Ullapool Bookshop is situated on Quay Street, Ullapool, right in the heart of the village, beside Lochbroom Hardware and The Captain’s Cabin (Ullapool gift shop and Scottish crafts) and is very close to the Harbour and Ferry Terminal. The Bookshop, Captain’s Cabin and Lochbroom Hardware are all owned by the same family run business. The Bookshop is open 7 days a week all year round, please check our Opening Hours for seasonal opening variations and we very much look forward to welcoming you.
We asked all the bookshops to answer three Christmas questions:
1. What is your favourite Christmas book?
2 favourites for me: 1) T’was the night before
Christmas and 2) Christmas Caroi by Charles Dickens, a classic but one I
re-read every winter. Tells us good morals and reminds us how to look
out for others.
2. What books should we look out for this December? Adult fiction, children’s fiction and non-fiction
1) ‘Christmas Lights’: Ten poems for dark winter Nights (published by
2) ‘The Light in the Dark (A Winter Journal) by Horatio Clare (my
favourite author…..if you haven’t read Orison for a Curlew and if you
like birds, this is a must)
3) The Darkest Dawn (published by Acair Books), the story of the Iolaire
tragedy, when on 1st January 1919, the Iolaire sank off Stornoway, Isle
of Lewis, whilst returning from the 1st World War, with the lost of 201
sailors and crew. This event has influeneced almost every family in the
3. Have you any events going on in December?
Throughout December, there will be a display of Christmas Lights around
Ullapool, including the world famous (as tweeted by JK Rowling last
winter): Creel Christmas Tree ( pictures attached as it is assembled).
Ullapool Bookshop will have its own Creel tree in our display windows
along with Christmas Lights.