7th November 2018
Books for November 2018
A monthly feature where I do a round up of the books I’m most excited to read (or have already read and think you should be excited for). Fiction, non-fiction and children’s books are all included.
- Fox 8 by George Saunders (9781984818027)
This sounds like a really whimsical read but from such a good writer this should be a great read.
- China Dream by Ma Jian (9781784742492)
A dive into the psychological make-up of a Chinese leader as it disintegrates due to his violent past, I’ve always been fascinated by the ramifications of the Cultural Revolution.
- Tentacle by Rita Indiana (9781911508342)
There is something about the description of this book that reminds me of the work of Jeff Noon, it sounds chaotic and subversive, but in a good way.
- The Drop by Mick Herron (9781473678309)
I’ve loved the other books in this series and I’m really looking forward to the further adventures of the spies from Slough House.
- The Witches of St. Petersburg by Imogen Edwards Jones (9781788544023)
Another historical book with magic thrown into it, I’ve really been enjoying this theme lately.
- Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaranovitch (9781473207813)
- A Chronology of Photography: A Cultural Timeline from Camera Obscura to Instagram by Paul Lowe (9780500545034)
This book has two things in it I love; timelines and photography, putting the two together will be interesting.
- Close Ups (1): Wes Anderson by Sophine Monks Kaufman & Little White Lies (9780008256586)
Snippets-style books about films and their makers, can’t really go wrong here for me
- Nightingales & Roses by Maryam Sinalee (9781786692207)
I’m loving all the Persian cook books that have been coming out lately and this looks like a great addition to them.
- The Golden Rhinoceros: Histories of the African Middle Ages by Francois-Xavier Fauvelle (9780691181264)
Looking at cultures that have been swept aside and ignored by a western mainstream culture is always fascinating.
- Exposure by Olivia Sudjic (9781999922337)
A look at the toxicity that women endure to practice their art.
- The Brief Life of Flowers by Fiona Stafford (9781473686359)
This exploration of British flowers sounds charming.
- The Cat in the Treble Clef by Louis de Bernieres (9781787300187)
I love Louis de Bernieres poetry and this will be grabbed to add to my collection as soon as possible.
- Wundersmith by Jessica Townsend (9781510104440)
Loved the first in this series and really looking forward to see what Morrigan gets up to
- Explorers on Witch Mountain by Alex Bell and Tomislav Tomic (Illus) (9780571332564)
Another sequel, this time we see what Stella Starflake Pearl does to save her father from a wicked witch.
- Sunny and the Ghosts by Alison Moore and Ross Collins (Illus) (9781784631260)
I’m always in need of a good ghostly tale all year round and this should be a good one as I’ve enjoyed Alison Moore’s previous work.
- Frostfire by Jamie Smith (9781911077879)
Another book where the cover has made me really desire it.
- Helen Oxenbury: A Life in Illustration by Leonard S. Marcus and Helen Oxenbury (Illus) (9781406357943)
A complete book to one of my favourite book artists? Yes please.
- Ronja the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren (9780008288341)
Loved the Ghibli adaptation of this and I’m really looking forward to reading the original story.